All students must furnish their own clothing and shoes for classes, and shoes and tights for performances. The school provides costumes for school performances. By the end of the first semester, new students should be dressed in approved dress code (unless told otherwise by the School Director). Note: the dress code also applies to all academic year students who participate in Community Division classes.
- Discount Dance Supply (use Teacher Code 115384 during online checkout to receive exclusive savings)
- Boys Dance Too
- Wear Moi Dancewear
- Tights: all students must wear theatrical pink ballet tights to class. We recommend convertible ballet tights so the students can roll them up when wearing street shoes.
Leotards (no skirts):
- Preschool Division (Creative Movement & Pre-Ballet): Pink leotard, conservative traditional styles (no embellishments, low-cut backs, halters, high-cut legs or strap designs)
- Primary Division (Levels 1A, 1B, 2A): Black leotard, conservative traditional styles (no embellishments, low-cut backs, halters, high-cut legs or strap designs)
- Preschool Division (Creative Movement & Pre-Ballet): pink, leather, full sole ballet slippers
- Primary Division (Levels 1A, 1B, 2A): black, leather, full sole ballet slippers
- Jazz Shoes (Jazz 1): tan, leather slip on jazz shoe
- Tap Shoes (Pre-Tap & Tap 1): Black, lace-up tap shoes
- Solid black dance shorts may be worn (over tights and leotard) during tap and jazz classes
- Black tights
- Black, leather ballet shoes with elastic strap
- Black, short, thin socks
- Black or tan dance belt (athletic supporter)
- Hair neatly combed back out of face and secure
All students should be groomed properly. Girls’ hair should be secured in a bun (short hair may be secured in a low ponytail or similar style that keeps hair away from the face). Boys’ hair should be combed neatly away from the face.
- No support bandages or support braces of any kind can be worn in class.
- All clothing and shoes should be marked with the student’s name.
- Only natural-looking make-up and fingernail polish may be worn in class.
- No jewelry (except small earrings) may be worn in class.
- No leg warmers or extra clothing of any kind may be worn in class.
- Long-sleeved leotards (not sweaters) are appropriate in cold weather.
- Holes that appear in leotards, tights and skirts should be mended immediately.
- A special note for girls:
- Girls’ tights serve as underwear beneath their leotards; be sure to buy dance tights that have a cotton crotch. Underwear inhibits movement and is not allowed under tights. We know this can be a bit of a surprise for younger dancers, but they adjust quickly.
- A special note for boys and men:
- Boys, starting at age 10, and men should always wear a dance belt under their tights. These items serve the same purpose as a jockstrap and protect a male dancer from injury.
- Dancewear is not appropriate attire for the street, and students must wear street clothing over their leotards and tights.